chrome.runtime API to retrieve the background page, return details
about the manifest, and listen for and respond to events in the app or
extension lifecycle. You can also use this API to convert the relative path
of URLs to fully-qualified URLs.
- An object containing information about the script context that sent a message or request.
- The reason that this event is being dispatched.
Fired when a message is sent from either an extension process (by
runtime.sendMessage) or a content script (by
Fired when a message is sent from another extension/app (by
runtime.sendMessage). Cannot be used in a content script.
- The reason that the event is being dispatched. 'app_update' is used when the restart is needed because the application is updated to a newer version. 'os_update' is used when the restart is needed because the browser/OS is updated to a newer version. 'periodic' is used when the system runs for more than the permitted uptime set in the enterprise policy.
- The machine's processor architecture.
- An object containing information about the current platform.
- The native client architecture. This may be different from arch on some platforms.
- The operating system chrome is running on.
- An object which allows two way communication with other pages. See Long-lived connections for more information.
The return type for
- Result of the update check.